Genetically Built Like Type-R
The Alpine SWS-12D4 Type-S subwoofers are more durable and powerful than ever, delivering accurate ground pounding bass. With their new sleek design, they look as great as they perform.
They are ready for virtually any system type desired, and have a shallow design which allows installation even in difficult locations.
They’re so good, Alpine had to redesign the Type-R
Master of All Trades, Jack of None.
Taking a clean-slate approach in the development allowed Alpine engineers to design the subwoofer to excel in nearly every category. Whether in a small sealed or vented enclosure, these new subs possess the ability to be articulate and defined or powerful and authoritative. Deeper and more refined looking than their predecessors, they now sit at 5.6” (SWS-10D4 & SWS-10D2) and 5.9” (SWS-12D4 & SWS-12D2) deep, making them flexible for many different installation options.
More Excursion = More Output
The new FEA-Optimized Motor Structure together with our revolutionary HAMR Suspension Design gives the new Type-S Subwoofers the highest X-max and SPL output in the category.
With a real-world, measured 15mm of one-way X-max, the new Type-S Subwoofers deliver best-in-class output, ultra-low distortion, and unparalleled sound quality. Borrowing the HAMR suspension from the Type-R, these new Type-S subwoofers have over 30mm of one-way stroke, for a total of nearly 3” of peak-to-peak excursion!
Underhung Design = More Control
The new dual-sided CRC motor structure mimics that of the Type-R Thin subwoofers, providing these subs with an ultra-linear, highly controlled sound. This patented design (US Patent # 6,639,993) creates a perfectly symmetrical and linear magnetic field for the coil to travel in, minimizing distortion while enhancing sound quality. The high-grade double-stacked magnets ensure adequate clearance for high excursion while providing the energy needed to power these beasts.
Keep it Cool = Keep it Playing
Alpine’s Patented Airflow Management System (US Patent #7,684,585) helps minimize power compression and ensures reliable long playing time by actively wicking output-robbing heat away from the Voice Coil.
The massive 65mm (2.6”) diameter voice coil provides nearly double the surface area when compared to the previous 38mm (1.5”) voice coil. Similar to having a larger intercooler in a race car, the larger surface area allows for the voice coil to cool faster, ensuring that your bass tracks cleanly and reliably, without compression.
Massive Voice Coils = Maximum Durability
The new 6-layer (Dual 4Ω) and 5-Layer (Dual 2Ω) coils are wound on a spiral-cut aluminum former. The massive coil, along with the black anodized coating, provides these woofers the thermal mass and cooling capacity to achieve a full 500W of RMS power handling. Peak power… try 1500W.
Four Unique Alpine Patents
4 unique patents for the Type-S subs make them a superior subwoofer in the category.
- FEA Optimized H.A.M.R Surround – The High Amplitude Multi-Roll Surround Design allows for extreme excursion without sacrificing valuable cone area. FEA Optimized for linearity and made with injection-molded Santoprene ® , the H.A.M.R. surround is a key part of the suspension system that allows for extreme excursion with accurate, distortion-free control.
- FEA Optimized Dual-Sided CRC Motor Structure – Creates a symmetrical magnetic field while optimizing flux density to greatly reduce distortion, and further improving power handling and output.
- Perimeter Venting with Airflow Management System – Forced air cooling during operation constantly cycles fresh-air through the gap to keep voice coil temperatures cool.
- FEA Optimized Spider w/reinforced Layer Spider Integration – Ensures reliable and consistent control of the tinsel-leads to eliminate any possible mechanical noises or interference typical of many high-excursion designs.
High Strength Steel Frame
With such an advanced airflow system we have incorporated a high strength steel frame to keep the bass going while keeping your sub cooler.
8 AWG Push Terminals
Keeping power consistent to your woofers is just as important as keeping them cool. The 8 AWG Push Terminals are used on the Type-S woofers to keep power current flowing, allowing your subwoofer to get the power needed from the amplifier to run cool and consistent.
More Bass In Less Space
What is unique and amazing about the new Type-S subwoofer is not only the entirely new engineering behind the build, it's the requirements for them to optimally perform. The new Type-S specification requires 0.5-0.85 for the 10”, 0.65 – 1.0 for the 12”, and 1.25-2.0 for the 15” cubic feet air space for superior performance.
High-Grade Strontium Ferrite Magnets
Creates a symmetrical magnetic field with evenly distributed flux density to greatly reduce distortion, while further improving power handling and output.
Clean, Concealed Mount Gasket System
These subwoofers have a shallower mounting depth allowing for more application flexibility and the concealed mount gaskets give Type-S subs a clean finished appearance for any vehicle.
Alpine SWS-12D4 - Features
- Material: Oversized Hairline-Textured Mica Poly Dustcap w/ Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Paper Cone Body
- Design: 2-Piece Parabolic
- Material: Injected Moulded SantopreneA?
- Design: High Amplitude Multi-Roll H.A.M.R Surround Design (Patent Pending)
- Material: ConexA?
- Design: 10 Segment High-Roll Progressive Design
- Material: 180A?C High Temp Wire on Spiral-Cut Aluminum Bobbin
- Design: 5-Layer Split-Winding Dual Voice Coil
- Pole Geometry: FEA Optimised Underhung Design w/ Dual-Sided Compound Radius Pole Geometry
- Configuration: Dual Flared Design w/ Integrated Backplate Venting
- Material: 18GA High Strength Steel
- Design: Alpine-Designed 5 Leg Structure w/ Integrated Radial Voice Coil Vents
- Layout: One Sided
- Design: 8ga. Push Terminals
- Design: Reinforced-Layer Spider Integration
- Design: Concealed Mount Gasket System
Alpine SWS12D4 - Specifications
- Power Range: 150W – 500 Watts
- RMS Power Handling: 500W
- Peak Power Handling: 1500W
- Mounting Depth: 177mm (7”)
- Mounting Diameter: 347mm (13.7”)
- Displacement: 0.07 cu. Ft.
- Added Volume: 0.15 cu. ft. (Reverse Mount, Magnet Out)
- Frequency Response: 24Hz – 200Hz
Recommended Enclosure Sizes
- Sealed enclosure: 25.5L
- Vented enclosure: 53.8L